Monday 9 August 2010

Last day with the lovely polo ponies

Lovely polo ponies of Sulham

For the last two months I have spent my early mornings with these lovely creatures. this has also been my first attempt of 2-4-1 riding!! Ie ride one and lead one. Luckily they only made me take two of them, not three or four as they do at big professional polo yards. Two has been plenty to manage! But it is suprising how quickly one gets used to it and the polo ponies are brought up this way, they really understand what is going on and just very calmly jog along the other horse - never try to change direction, barge, kick, bite each other or anything or such. So it really is as straightforward as hacking out one horse that can be a bit of a handful. (And dont we all know a few of those :D)

Toastie waiting to be taken to the field
These four ponies are the gentlest and calmest creatures on the planet. (as you can see from the photo!!). It has made a change from overexcitable professional competition horses - mind you not that these guys arent pro - they just are a bit older 'been there seen that' type. Nothing bothers them - apart from the naughty three young bulls that like to follow us along the fence line whilst doing excitable moo's and little charging attempts. Toastie in particular finds them rather fun!

The wild Toastie - raring to go!! (or about to fall asleep..)
Flo also falling asleep before a ride

The yard is the quietest and calmest place in the world, situated in Sulham, between the villages of Tidmarsh and Pangbourne. I have spent most mornings totally alone, just me, the ponies and my iPod! Very very lovely. I think all horses should have such a calm place to live. (and us people too, to that matter!)

As mentioned in the title of this post, it was my last day with these lovely horses last week. Im onto expanding my business and also working few hours in the morning somewhere else now for a classical dressage rider who also owns a kennel. So busy animal filled mornings ahead! Will miss them lots, but will keep you updated on my progress at the other yard and how my massages go this week :)

Susanna

No comments:

Post a Comment