Tuesday 10 May 2011

Science behind massage, what does it ACTUALLY do? + Sevilla Feria & Andalucia

This is a question that Dr Jeremy asked me the first time I was at his yard. What does it ACTUALLY do? Why does it work? There is a lot of "hear say" proof that massage works, but not many people can explain why does it work. I couldn't either and felt a bit embarrased I could not answer him! But at the same time, he didn't know the answer either. And he is a veterinarian with a PhD in horse exercise physiology after all...! So we both did a bit of research and below is my understanding of what actually happens.

I know a lot of people are not into science and just want to ride horses and know that they are happy and healthy. But please bear with me, I try to make it as simple as I possibly can!! I find it extremely interesting, I hope you will too! This information is mostly taken from Ross Turchaninov's article originally published in Massage and Bodywork magazine

PRESSURE
Pressure is the main tool of a massage practitioner (with stretching and temperature receptors' activation playing a supportive role). The physical force converts to pressure which then converts into various physiological and electrochemical phenomenons on the cellular level. So...

APPLY PRESSURE >> CELLULAR CHANGES

This shows how the success of the massage treatment depends on the correct application of this pressure includin proper technique, speed used, depth of pressure used etc

CELLULAR CHANGES
So... Please tell us what are these cellular changes I hear you eagerly say... :) So here is a very simplified explanation of them. If you want something more detailed, do email me directly and I send you the more detailed version.

1.) The body sees the site where massage / pressure has been applied as an injured site. Pressure activates the membranes of Fibroblasts, which are major repair cells in the body. Why? Because they produce the precursor to collagen which  in turn is a major building block in the structure of all organs and tissues.

2.) This then leads to increased production of collagen and extracellular matrix (Extracellular matrix provides external structural support to the animal cells in addition to performing various other important functions) in the injured site. It also attracts cells from the neighbouring area.

3.) The fibroblast activation with the subsequent increase of collagen production is a major process of healing which affects practically every tissue in the body.

4.) However increased collagen production is not enough to heal the injured site - otherwise your rubbing saddle that causes hardening of muscles would be enough to heal! - The correct orientation of collagen fibres is a very important element and without the proper alignment just increase in collagen is useless.

Several scientific papers have been published whereby they have proved this to be the case. I have a full list of them if anyone is interested

ANDALUCIAN MINI ADVENTURE
On a lighter note, I went to Andalucia this weekend with Annette Scott, a customer turned friend and had an amazing time riding and watching the prancing Andalucians (people and horses alike!!) in the Sevilla Feria!

Some pictures below to prove I don't just sit in my academic chamber learning all this cell biology every day!!



Amazing 5 hour beach ride at Los Alamos http://www.losalamosriding.co.uk/

One way to get to the local in the evening - no drink and driving worries!

Yes, I did also work!! Massaging Indio PRE gelding owned by Annette

Prancing in the Sevilla Feria.

In Sevilla even the mounted police is on PRE andalucians. And yes, they were stallions!!
Dont think any self respecting Andalucian macho policeman would step a foot on a gelding...

No comments:

Post a Comment