Tuesday 2 November 2010

Conditioning sportshorses for optimum fitness

Few weeks ago I had an interesting "lecture" from Dr Jeremy on conditioning horses to reach their optimum performance. There has been a lot of scientific research on the optimum performance on horses and on excercise physiology in the recent years and there is a great deal more knowledge around than there was even say 20 years ago. Even still fairly uncommon practice in the racing world Jeremy trains his horses using this information combining practicality and science.

I have added a link to his YouTube channel where he explains more on two short videos filmed for 'At The Races' programme


He also sells heart rate monitoring systems and sets up the very practical software you can see in the videos. Do get in touch with him directly if you are interested, it's use is certainly not limited to the racehorses, but applies to any discipline where your horse needs to be fit! There is also much more to the software than is shown on the videos.

Will be very interesting to see how the muscles of the horses I have massaged for the last months react now when they are pretty much racing fit and ready to go! They have all done so well so far, so I will be placing my bets when they go :) They are such lovely characters too. I had this silly idea in my head about racehorses and how they behave (or don't behave!) and I must say they are no different from any other horses that I regularly see. Maybe even nicer to handle since they dont end up too pampered and are not allowed to walk all over you and barge like many of our "pet horses" these days seem to do. (Yes guys you know who you are ;D ;D)


A properly designed conditioning program prevents this from happening!!!!

I have also come across an interesting course at Harper Adams University in Shropshire. It is a 3 year MSc degree in Veterinary Physiotherapy. Nothing new in itself, but this is the first degree of its kind whereby they take people in without having already qualified in human physiotherapy. You still need a very strong degree with a good grade and preferebly some kind of experience, but everyone is considered on their individual merit. So I have been considering sending my application in! It does though carry the cost of normal thought postgraduate degree - £9000 so that might be a small challenge, but I have quite a long time to think about the moneyside of things, it wouldnt start until mid 2011.


Picture from Harper Adams University

I have also since last post had two new foster doggies in the house. First one was Mitzy, a crossbreed, sort of Boxer/Staffi type. Lazy, sloppy, cuddly and my own dogs were petrified of her due to her tough looks. :D I think they found her a bit hard to read and she could get a bit of a bull-in-the-china-shop boisterous at times. Currently we are fostering a lovely Lakeland terrier Charlie. Such an easy sweetheart!!! If you know anyone who is looking, do get in touch with Rescue Remedies Dog Rescue. On their website he is known as "Crosby" and he has his own thread in the forum.





My lovely Benji collie in the front and Mitzy Staffi cross on the right


Lovely Charlie!!! At the time of writing, still waiting for his forever home at our house!


No comments:

Post a Comment